Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Apple Picking and Applesauce Making In The Slow Cooker





So long summer!  
Bring on all the fantastic fall produce Bucks County has to offer!
Apples are my most favorite ingredient for  fall cooking, sweet or savory, crisp and tart.
My sister and I took her kids and Henry to Tabora Farms to pick some apples.  They had a bunch of varieties, some for eating, some for pies and some for baking... So go with a game plan and pick up the type of apple you want.   

The thousands of types of apples can be overwhelming but  here is a fantastic webpage that lists the tons of apples out there and what they are best for.  http://www.pickyourown.org/apples  I picked McIntosh because I want to make applesauce and needed a good baking apple.  I also picked up some Macoun apples for their sweetness, I like to use 2 types of apples for applesauce to have a balance between tart and sweet.

I make as much applesauce as I can while apples are in their prime and cheap, I freeze and can so I have applesauce into the winter. Applesauce is so versatile used in baking, glazes, vinaigrettes, cocktails and finally for Henry. 

The best way to make applesauce is to use your crock pot or slow cooker, apples and a small amount of water....that's all you need! Your house will smell amazing and you will look like a genius!
Enjoy,
Holly


Applesauce in the Crock Pot

Peeler, Apples and Crock Pot...That's it!

Ingredients

  • 12 Macoun Apples
  • 8 McIntosh Apples
  • 1/2 Cup Water
  • Cinnamon (optional)


Directions

  1. Peel, core and chop apples.
  2. Place in crock pot, add water.
  3. Turn on low, stir when you remember.
  4. Simmer until apples are soft, about 4-6 hours.

If freezing wait until applesauce is cooled before placing in freezer.



Applesauce For Baby



  • After applesauce has cooled, blend until smooth. 
  • Freeze in ice cube trays or freeze flat in breastmilk storage bag.
  • Label and date applesauce before freezing.  Will last in freezer for up to 3 months. 
Henry loves apples!

Freezing in breastmilk freezer bags saves so much room in your freezer.

Tabora Farms
Tabora Farms

No comments:

Post a Comment